Treasure Hunting in Connecticut Salisbury Twin Lakes Colebrook Indian Trail Stockbridge Mount Riga

Treasure Hunting in Connecticut Salisbury Twin Lakes Colebrook Indian Trail Stockbridge Mount Riga

Sitting on a secure Bitcoin network is a podcast version of ‘Treasure Revealed’

Salisbury the native american name for salisbury was we attack which means place of the dwelling twin lakes was known to the native americans as wahining which meant laughing water and washing which meant smiling water according to the legend two daughters of a native american chief who all the tries between the hassatonic and hudson rivers lived here suru’s travel traveled far to seek the maiden’s love but all were rejected during a tribal war a young warrior was captured and brought to the lake to be tortured the sisters befriended him loved him and tried to get him released he refused and on the evening before his execution the girls went out on the lake and were never seen again there is more to the story of these lakes there are limestone caves in the region jack in the pulpit cave is very difficult to enter there is a marble opening in the 612 foot cave the visitor can get lost in here easily this limestone cave was discovered during the civil war era by a man looking for his dog who went in but never reappeared in the cave of the bashful lady found in this area the glowworkers de gla story about a certain creature that appeared there it is said that the members of this spelunkers club of new england in 1939 entered the cave and killed this creature apparently the creature has had saw the refuge here examination of the beast revealed it was a cross between a bear and the lynx the creature measured three feet and weighed 90 pounds what happened after that is not reported battlefield plays in 1676 during king philip’s war it was fought in the northeast corner of town where the native american trail from stockbridge to kent once traveled mount riga the ghost town of mount riga is just north of the area and it’s is 2000 feet high this town prospered from the iron industry there was once a great iron furnace here but now the cellar halls are covered with dirt and forest growth this was america’s most important furnace in its heyday swiss and russian immigrants worked here before the american revolution they mined the brown hematite ore and turn it into iron this time created iron for the revolutionary war many of the cannons savers and the anchors of the brigade uss constitution were forged here in 1802 a mysterious stone bombardment occurred in town the stone that fell from the sky was called lithubolia on november 8 1802 around 10 p.m and for four succeeding evenings stone wood charcoal and strange mortar never seen before fell on mount riga no explanation has ever been given the name comes from the people who lived here the swiss called the place riggy and the russians called it riga in 1847 the furnace became silent and the workers walked away from the town letting nature reclaim the mountain however that is not the end of the story the old those old abandoned places were soon occupied by strange short people and no one knows where they come from but they spoke a different language taught to be haitian deserters and believed to have supernatural powers they were called rockies one day these dwellers also walked away and left monoriga the place remains uninhabited today saybrook seybrook was once a huge town in 1632 this town encompassed 40 000 acres many towns were part of this area including line chester westbrook ss old saybrook old lime deep river clinton and killingworth in saybrook in 1632 governor van twiller of new netherland purchased this area and nailed a dutch coat of arms to a tree during the narragansett and mohegan war era there was a native american village at the place called trading cove this vill this was where the mohegan tribe and the settlers in sabro traded goods this village was often abandoned during the time it existed due to the constant attacks from the narragansett tribe old sabre also known as seabrook between 1635 and 1636 was one place that piquates kept attacking the settlers built gardner’s fort on sabre point for protection against the tribe it was not only the piquas that kept attacking the fort it was also constantly attacked by the narragansetts native american village here was called shaoqi in 1604 in 1614 when adrian black visited this area was a battlefield orphan the dutch attacked here in 1600 the pequod attacked here all through the 1600s and the british attack here in 1814. in 1647 a second fort was built near the mouth of the connecticut river in old sabre it was built of wood like many structures at the time and was destroyed by fire in the same year a new fort was built at the new fort hill ruins of this fort can be found there’s a rock here left by the glacier but with strange carvings on it no one knows or why these markings were made sharon was a native american village found at the foot of indian or pakanak mountain or way kwadna in the northwestern part of town


  1. fortheearth on September 21, 2022 at 7:55 pm

    This was an interesting historical account with some nice local history and legend. Thank you for making and sharing this documentary. My ancestors worked at the forge on Mount Riga.

Leave a Comment